Health insurance for foreign students

De ziekteverzekering voor studenten

The CAAMI/HZIV offers foreign students Belgium's compulsory medical care insurance. This includes both a contribution to the costs of medical care and the partial reimbursement of certain medicines.

Always the most advantageous status

The CAAMI/HZIV will register you in the most advantageous status for you:

  • If your legal residence is in Belgium, you will be registered as "resident". If you have no official income, you do not have to pay a contribution. If you do have an income, you will pay a contribution proportional to your income.
  • If your legal residence is abroad, you may be registered as a "student". To be insured, provide us with an annual certificate of registration from your educational institution and pay a quarterly contribution (EUR 74.99 per quarter in 2024).
  • If you are from a European Economic Area (EEA) country, you can register without paying a contribution. Provide us with your European health insurance card obtained from your national insurance institution.

EEA = Bulgaria, Cyprus, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Croatia, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden

Practical tips

For a quick registration, we recommend that you provide us with the following items:

  • a completed CAAMI/HZIV registration form in French, Dutch or German
    • Use a French form to register for an office in the Walloon region
    • Use a Dutch form to register for an office in the Flanders region
      • Only in Brussels, you can use French or Dutch forms
    • Use a German or a French form to register at our offices in Eupen and Malmedy
  • a certificate of registration from your educational institution
  • a copy of both sides of your identity document:
    • for Belgians: Belgian identity card
    • for Europeans: European health insurance card, E-card or Model 8
    • for non-Europeans: Card A, B or C or a provisional residence document "Annex 15" together with a valid visa (type D).

For additional questions, you can always contact us by email, telephone, post, or at our offices. We will be happy to help you!